Department-Office-Secretariat: Secretariat of Evangelization and Catechesis
Position Title: Evangelization & Catechesis Specialist (Full Time)
Position Reports to: Marilyn Santos
Department Office: Evangelization & Catechesis
Date Posted: February 02, 2021
Purpose: At the direction of the Committee on Evangelization and Catechesis and under the supervision and direction of the Executive Director of the Secretariat of Evangelization and Catechesis, the Evangelization and Catechesis Specialist assists providing staff support to the Committee on Evangelization and Catechesis. Contributes to the Bishops’ strategic plan for the Conference. Demonstrates willingness and ability to understand, respect and contribute to the USCCB mission and to fulfill job duties in accordance with its Catholic identity.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Continuing Responsibilities: At the direction of the Committee on Evangelization and Catechesis and under the supervision of the Associate Director of the Secretariat of Evangelization and Catechesis, the EC Specialist:
• Provides staff assistance to the Bishops’ Committee on Evangelization and Catechesis. This includes working as directed by the Committee on issues involving evangelization and catechesis on all levels (adults, young adults, children and youth), as well as issues involving world mission and/or stewardship education.
• Assists with the organization and implementation of the 2021-2024 Eucharistic Revival Initiative with limited supervision; this includes but is not limited to managing the work of the various advisory committees and working groups, in support of a renewed understanding of the truth, beauty, and goodness of the Eucharist at the parish, diocesan, and national levels.
• Works with the Associate Director in promoting and implementing the strategic plan of the bishops for the Conference.
• Represents the Committee on Evangelization and Catechesis as well as the Secretariat of Evangelization and Catechesis, as necessary or desired by the bishops.
• Assists in coordinating the assembly and dissemination of materials designed for catechetical and leadership formation. Helps foster the distribution and implementation of both universal Church documents on catechesis and evangelization as well as related documents developed by the bishops of the United States.
• Coordinates the projects and activities related to social media and newsletter (including the Committee on Evangelization and Catechesis website, Facebook and other media projects).
• Other duties as assigned.
Position(s) and Number of Employees Supervised: 0
Amount of Budget Responsibilities: 0 (if any related to the position).
Formal Educatin level: Master’s Degree
Major Field/Speciality Training:
• Knowledge of the Catholic Church.
• Experience in organizing large scale initiatives.
• Experience in the fields of evangelization and catechesis, and the ability to address issues associated with world mission and stewardship.
• Knowledge of catechesis and catechetical language.
• Knowledge of the Directory for Catechesis, the Catechism of the Catholic Church, the National Directory for Catechesis, as well as papal documents and documents of the Conference pertinent to catechesis.
• Familiarity of and appreciation for catechetical concerns of the U.S. bishops.
• The ability to integrate information from a variety of diverse sources, and the ability to work collaboratively with all elements of the staff on a variety of joint tasks and projects.
• Proficiency in technological aspects of office life, including word processing, Microsoft Teams, Word, PowerPoint, Zoom, e-mail communications, Internet (including maintaining/updating websites), Sharepoint, social media, etc.
Language Requirement: Knowledge of Spanish would be beneficial
Type and Nature of Professional Experience:
• Experience in evangelization and catechesis on either the parish or the diocesan level
• Excellent organization skills
• Experience in Church systems and structures
• Writing and editing skills
• Excellent verbal communication skills
• Experience as a teacher or catechist of the Catholic Faith
• Demonstrable commitment to sound and effective catechesis and evangelization
• Ability to deal with confidential and sensitive communications
• Catholic in good standing with the Church. Number of Years Required:4-5 years directly related experience
Please describe briefly the types of contacts you have, with whom (e.g., inside or outside the USCCB), how often, etc.
• Bishops on the Committee on Evangelization and Catechesis
• Contacts with bishops and/or diocesan officials responsible for evangelization and catechesis, world mission and stewardship.
• Other Conference offices, particularly the Offices for Catholic Education, Clergy, Consecrated Life and Vocations, Cultural Diversity in the Church, Doctrine, Divine Worship, Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs, Laity, Marriage, Family Life and Youth, and National Collections (Office of Home Missions).
• Diocesan Offices.
• National Organizations.
• Pontifical Mission Societies and mission-sending societies/organizations.
• Catholic Stewardship societies/organizations.
Please specify if your authority to make decisions is under direct, general or very limited supervision by others.
Decisions are made under direct supervision, depending upon the project or activity. Some assigned projects involving Committee work involve very limited supervision, while assisting a diocesan office or national organization requires general supervision.
Working Conditions/Physical Effort
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand; walk; sit, handle, or feel objects, or controls; reach; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel or, crouch; talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Work is performed mostly in an office setting. Some overnight travel and weekend work may be required. Regular computer work is also required.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described above are representative of the physical capabilities that must be met by an employee and the working conditions that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the position and it is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.