The Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist, located in downtown Milwaukee is seeking to hire a Director of Evangelization. This is a full time position that works with direction from the Rector / Vice Rector to guide the Cathedral parish into a mission driven parish. The Director of Evangelization serves as a pastoral staff member who is responsible for implementing the vision of the parish by coordinating faith formation and sacramental preparation, coordinating small groups, helping parishioners come to know and love Jesus personally, and to nurturing others a love and devotion to their Catholic faith and identity. The Director is responsible for equipping parishioners to learn and share their faith with others.
- Collaborates with the Vice Rector, staff, and Pastoral Council to provide formation and communication of the parish mission/vision to staff, Councils, ministry leaders and parishioners through retreats, evening of reflection, etc. and help others to deepen their call to discipleship.
- Assists in designing process for welcoming and integrating Spanish and English speaking parishioners into the broader parish community; ensure Spanish-speaking families are being catechized to ensure needs of all families are being met.
- Oversees: Baptism preparation of children, Catechesis for children and parents, Sacramental preparation for First Eucharist, Adult Confirmation, and Rite of Christian Initiation.
- Together with the Vice Rector, help to shape, formulate and direct programming (in both English and Spanish) that enables the formation of intentional disciples and lifelong growth in the Catholic faith (i.e. promoting an active prayer life; focus formation on living God’s Word; promoting charitable works within the parish community; etc.)
- Works closely with the staff in assuring that all Cathedral events have an outreach and evangelization component, in an effort to foster a sense of community. Reaches out to various groups of people who live and work in the downtown and Third Ward areas, but may not be yet connected with a parish.
- Oversee the training of intentional disciples to proclaim and share their story of conversion (one on one or in groups). To see complete job description please email Nancy Kerns, email@example.com.
- Is a practicing Roman Catholic with a deep and growing personal relationship with Jesus Christ and has a clear awareness of his or her Catholic identity.
- Must be Bilingual (English and Spanish) and have knowledge of Hispanic culture and community and the practices of Catholic ecclesial life and structure.
- Master’s degree in theology, and experience in leadership of Hispanic Ministry within a parish is preferred; or any equivalent combination of education and experience that demonstrates the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the described essential functions.
Notes: This is a salaried, benefit-eligible position. The Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist offers a competitive benefits package including health, dental, vision, Life/AD&D, and long-term disability insurance, and pension.
Start Date: July 1, 2021
Location: Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist, 831 N. VanBuren Street, Milwaukee Full Time
To Apply Instructions: Send cover letter and resume to: Director of Evangelization Search Committee, Attn: Nancy Kerns, 3501 South Lake Drive, Milwaukee, WI 53207
Contact: Nancy Kerns