Position at Catholic Diocese of Arlington
Meaningful work * service oriented and respectful work environment * work-life balance * generous leave * more holidays than the federal government, including Christmas week off * free parking as well as free transportation to/from Ballston metro * paid lunch breaks * professional development tuition assistance * tuition assistance for your children enrolled in our diocesan schools after 1 year of employment * generous benefits, including a pension plan * AND MORE…………………………
The Diocese of Arlington is a thriving community composed of seventy parishes, six missions, and 50 schools, covering the 21 northernmost counties and independent cities in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Since our founding in 1974, the Diocese has grown significantly, becoming one of the fifty largest dioceses in the United States. We have over 4,000 employees and are still growing. We’re looking for talented and committed employees to join our team.
The Office of the Spanish Apostolate assists Pastors in their mission to evangelize and support the pastoral needs of the culturally diverse communities of Spanish speaking Catholics in their communities and to fully integrate them into the life of their parish. The Office provides this assistance through the close collaboration and coordination with parish, school, and diocesan ministry leadership as well as related community organizations and lay movements, training and development offerings, diocesan-sponsored events, and advocacy efforts.
The Digital and Social Media Specialist supports the mission of the Office of the Spanish Apostolate by coordinating the use, creation and distribution of social and digital content.
- Coordinate use of social and digital media as an integrated tool for outreach to the Catholic Hispanic faithful and the public, including the creation of content for social media.
- Develop media content and event materials as needed, including, but not limited to, flyers, posters, bulletins, and web announcements. Coordinate with outside vendors for special projects.
- Stay current on social media trends and recommend best practices.
- Develop and execute strategic social and digital media objectives.
- Cover and publicize events, programs, announcements and strategic communication campaigns on Spanish Apostolate (SA) digital and social media accounts, showcase events from parishes, schools, and campus ministries on SA social and digital media platforms.
- Create and deliver mass email and digital publications.
- Ensure that digital and social media content on SA accounts present a uniform message and consistent image that aligns with diocesan social and digital media protocols and policies and adheres to social and digital media best practices.
- Create strategies to increase readership, listenership and viewership of SA website, podcasts, videos, and other digital/social media content.
- Regularly, track, analyze, and report on metrics from social and digital media platforms and third-party software.
- Store, catalogue, and process photos in a structure that serves the department and staff.
- Assist with shooting, editing, producing and publishing text, digital media, audio, photos and videos as needed.
- Assists with on-site support for all Spanish apostolate events.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Must have an in-depth understanding of and commitment to Catholic teachings and practices as well as strong human relations skills with a thorough understanding of and sensitivity to the Hispanic culture; must be fully bilingual (Spanish/English).
- Working knowledge of social media, social media advertising and corresponding tools and platforms, including but not limited to Facebook Publishing Tools, Insights and Ad Manager; strong familiarity with Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Premiere), editing audio and video content; ability to develop graphical content; familiarity with website content management systems (CMS), especially Ektron, Adobe products, iMIS, and video/sound/podcast editing tools; must be detail oriented with excellent grammar, written and oral communications skills; ability to handle multiple tasks and to work well under pressure; working knowledge of best practices in public relations field;
- Must be able: to create basic documents, spreadsheets, presentations and emails using MS Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook; to apply critical thinking to solve problems in an everyday work setting; to be an active listener; to articulate ideas clearly, concisely and professionally both orally and in writing; to work collaboratively, foster teamwork and address conflict as it arises; to develop, manage and evaluate programs, to align individual program goals with strategic goals and objectives and to formulate recommendations to improve program delivery and management; to work and complete follow up activities independently; to solicit personal feedback and make changes when needed.
- Education: BS or BA in communications, public relations, journalism, or related field or equivalent experience.
- Licenses/Certifications: Must maintain a current driver’s license.
- Years and Types of Experience: Three to five years of professional experience using digital and/or social media in communications, public relations, or marketing.
- Available on Sundays to assist with the radio program.